My Burda cape is all done! It was certainly a learning experience, and there’s a lot of room for improvement, but I think it’s still wearable.
This was my first time using a Burda pattern and it was a pleasant experience. Everything was easy to understand and laid out nicely, but I have to admit that sewing a cape was more complicated than I thought it would be – this project certainly gave me a chance to get better acquainted with my seam-ripper. I found the neck/collar area to be particularly fiddly, and I think that if I ever make this again I might just leave it off.
As I mentioned before, this fabric frays a lot. The pattern recommended using loden cloth or fulled fabrics – I’m not 100% sure but I think that means wool. Anyways, my local fabric store has lots of quilting cotton, fleece, and polyester, but not much in the way of natural fibres. When I finally found a roll of plain grey wool-blend in the back it was way too expensive for my budget (I would have spent well over $150) so I found this houndstooth polyester and decided to give it a try. You can’t see it in the picture, but there’s a subtle sparkle woven through as well. It worked out well, and the homemade bias binding I used inside will keep the fraying in check (I hope!).
Speaking of bias binding, this was my first time making my own and it was a lot easier than I expected. This was also my first time using it to finish the seams of a garment and, well, let’s just say I’m happy it’s only inside.
Overall I’m quite happy with this cape – I learned a lot and I think I’ll get some decent wear out of it. I think I might even invest in the wool and make another one someday.