Once you actually spin the singles it does’t take that much time to ply them together. There’s only one problem I have with plying…
I can never seem to get an even amount of yarn on each bobbin, so one always runs out way before the other.
There are two reasons for this:
- When splitting the roving before spinning I probably split it unevenly – I might have to start weighing it.
- I try to do too much at once. I always try and spin the entire thing in one day, and that means by the end of the day my hands are cramping up. I need to take my time and pace myself.
There are a few ways to deal with uneven bobbins, but I decided to try winding the singles into a centre-pull ball and then spinning from both ends. It got a little tangled in the process, so next time I think I’ll try splitting the extra yarn between two bobbins.
Once I was done plying I gave it a good soak in some hot water and wool-wash, then let it hang to dry. I ended up with about 240 yards of yarn, enough for a good sized cowl for my brother.