Well, it’s February and I’ve already broken a few of my crafting resolutions. I haven’t spent any time spinning yet for the year, so there’s broken promise number one. And that one about only sticking to four projects at a time? Well, I’m surprised I made it this long.
Despite already having four WIPs (my Beekeeper’s Quilt, Spring Morning, Nutkin, and Story Time Sampler) I felt like sewing this so I went to my fabric stash and dug out this quilting cotton I bought from Connecting Threads a few years ago. And a few hours later I had…
It’s a Sorbetto top from Colette Patterns. I’ve made it a few times before so it goes pretty quickly. This time around it took about four hours from start to finish, and that’s including the time it took to make my own bias tape.
I lengthened the top a bit and actually combined two sizes (so the top is smaller while the bottom has more room); this is something I tend to do to most of my tops. Also, I didn’t make enough bias tape and didn’t feel like making more so I just hemmed the bottom. Now that I think about it, I like that pop of colour near the top but the highly contrasting band might have looked a little off at the bottom.
The pattern recommends using lightweight fabrics that have some drape to them, which I did with my first few Sorbettos. But this was an impulse project using stash fabrics and the quilting cotton is just a bit too heavy, especially for the bias tape. I’m happy with how it turned out but if this was a planned project I’d definitely go with the suggested fabrics.