I know that April showers bring May flowers, but it’s been cloudy and raining off and on for days and I want bright flowers now, so I went to my stash and pulled out this beautiful Malabrigo Nube roving in the Baya Electrica colour.
I’ve used this brand before and I remember it being a little difficult to work with, but this time it was an absolute nightmare. The fiber was really dense and seemed almost felted in spots. Usually I split my roving in half and pre-draft it and I’m all set for an enjoyable spinning experience. Well, before I could even do that I had to pull it apart along its width and fluff it up, and it was a struggle every step of the way – my arms actually hurt after prepping this roving.
Even with all that prep work I found it difficult to spin. I couldn’t control it evenly so had to keep adjusting my treadling speed. Unfortunately I’m not so great at intuitively knowing when to do that so some parts are woefully underspun while others are super coiled up. It was a lot of effort and to be honest, it was not an enjoyable experience. I’m not sure if it was worth it.
At least the hard part is over now, all that’s left is to ply it. Actually scratch that, I’m going to try Navajo Plying, a new-to-me technique, so it’s bound to be twice as fiddly. But it will solve the problem of uneven bobbins, so that’s a plus.