Looking back through my project notes I can see that I started spinning this yarn in early June, which means that it took me just over two and a half months to take it from Knit Picks roving into my pink shawl.
Just a quick post today to show you the progress on my Study in Pink shawl – I’ve reached the pure pink section! It was getting a bit squished on the needles so I transferred it to the longest circular needle I have, that’s 47 inches right there.
I’m enjoying this, but it’s getting a bit boring what with the endless garter stitch and all. It’s actually my only knitting project right now, (aside from my Beekeeper’s Quilt, but that doesn’t count) and I’m tempted to cast on something new to break up the monotony (that peachy sock yarn is just calling to me!). But I won’t. I had visions of myself enjoying crisp autumn evenings on the deck with this shawl, and I know the only way that will happen is if I just stick to it. If I start something new this will never get finished. So that’s what I’m going to do, no matter how tempting my stash is right now.
Just a quick post today to show you the progress on my Study in Pink shawl. It’s getting to the point where all the stitches are jammed onto the needles so it’s hard to judge the size, but I can tell you that all that garter stitch is knitting up into the most delightfully squishy fabric.
All told my Study in Pink yarn came up to about 530 yards of roughly aran weight wool. The white, light pink, dark pink, and red are about the same length, but the pure pink in the middle is only about a third of the yardage, so it will be a pretty thin stripe in the finished shawl. I’m going to call it a design feature and leave it at that.
Now that I’ve wrapped up my WIP list I can start 2015 with new projects. My last few projects were quite large so I decided my first new one should be small and quick. My latest hand spun was calling my name, so I figured that cowl was in order. I headed over to Ravelry to browse patterns but nothing really caught my eye. Everything I liked seem to either call for more yarn than I had, or to involve complicated stitch patterns that would compete with the variegated yarn. I finally settled on a pattern. I didn’t love it, but it would have to do.
Well, I’m certainly glad I didn’t cast on right away…
I might have gone a bit overboard with the mittens…